systems stopped updating and showing as un-entitled

Gary Waters gwaters-web at paradise.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 6 17:36:58 UTC 2007

This is a root kit.
We had this show up on 2 machines within days of each other.
We found anomalies for a bunch of binaries as well.

Clues other than not being able to touch numeric files, is the RPM
database is messed up,
so rpm verifies arent working right.  It might be the version of ssh or
the kernel we were running
in RHEL 4 (update 5), and that is how they go in.  But we cant be
certain anymore because of recent dates (after the intrusion).

FYI : I fsck'd the disks nothing showed up..

System rebuild time.  Thanks for the help!

Good Luck All,
Gary