queer dns access problem

Stephen Carville stephen.carville at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:47:21 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007 8:02 AM, Bill Tangren <bjt at usno.navy.mil> wrote:

> > OK. Is the /8 netmask a cut and paste error too?
>
> No, it is correct.
>

> > Your trouble could be a routing issue: 10.1.5.58/8 and 10.1.1.46/8 are
> > on the same subnet as far as the network layer is concerned so there is
> > no reason to go to the default route.  Thats why I asked for a
> > traceroute too -- or mtr if you have it installed and it will work.
> >
> > # mtr -rnc 10 DNS.SERVER.IP.ADDRESS
> >
> > What netmask is the firewall using for the interface?
>

> When the network guy comes in this afternoon, I'll ask. This still doesn't
> explain why it works for one machine, but not the other, when both are set
> the same.

I am assuming you've done the usual stuff

double checked /etc/resolv.conf

checked /etc/nsswitch.conf

Pinged the default gateway.

Checked the network cabling back to the switch.

Checked the patch cable.

ifconfig to make sure the interface is actually up.

ethtool to check that speed and duplex are as expected.

Can't think of anything else offhand.

--
Stephen Carville