Moving /home to a LVM

I am out of room on my /home partition which is just ext3 and I am wanting to move it to a unpartitioned area which i plan on making a LVM and once the data is moved I want to make the old /home partition LVM also and join it to the new LVM that I am creating. What I am unsure of is how to move the data do I just tar it up and move it to the LVM and untar it add the new part to fstab and take the old part out? will I have to reboot? any Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Joey