Revisiting an old topic: licensing/titlement and "redistribution"

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 00:46:55 UTC 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 4:50 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:41:29PM +0100, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> > Ray Van Dolson <> scribbled on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:31 PM:
> >
> > What you pay for is the patches and support you get over RHN. The media
> alone
> > is as I understand it GPLed. Kinda'. Confusing enough? 8-}
>
> Thanks for the reply... my RH sales rep is telling me differently
> though.
>
> They are trying to tell me that one set of "CD's" (installation media
> of whatever form) can only be used for one installation.
>
> Or to put it another way, for each installation of RHEL we have, we
> should have a corresponding entitlement purchased at some point (even
> if it has expired).
>
> I could see this perhaps if:
>
>  - They don't allow redistribution of their compiled binaries as
>    provided on the CD's or in the ISO's
>  - There is some software that cannot be redistributed on the CD's.
>    In this case this software would need to be removed first negating
>    the ability to use the media to install to multiple machines
>    without an entitlement.
>
> Maybe I need a RH Legal contact to clarify this.  It would be nice to
> know for _sure_. :)
>
> Ray

Since your Red Hat sales rep  represents Red Hat corporation, you should
follow her/his directives.
Red Hat permits you to download ISO images for each license--these are the
cds that your rhrep is speaking about most likely.

in red hat training class (12/05), we were instructed that we could legally
use the red hat distro while we had a support contract.
once the contract was up, we were obligated to remove the red hat software.

if you are working for a company/corporation, ask your company legal
department or attorney to interpret the contract.
it is foolish to ask people on this mailing list to give you legal advice;
it is stupid for any one on this mailing list to give you legal advice.