Revisiting an old topic: licensing/titlement and "redistribution"

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Dec 20 00:53:41 UTC 2007

> in red hat training class (12/05), we were instructed that we could legally
> use the red hat distro while we had a support contract.
> once the contract was up, we were obligated to remove the red hat software.

This directly contradicts a statement by RH themselves:

  http://www.redhat.com/rhel/renew/faqs/#6

Although perhaps by "red hat software" you meant the RHN code mentioned
at the end of the FAQ.

> if you are working for a company/corporation, ask your company legal
> department or attorney to interpret the contract.
> it is foolish to ask people on this mailing list to give you legal advice;
> it is stupid for any one on this mailing list to give you legal advice.

If anything I am looking to facilitate some discussion and perhaps hear
others' experiences on the matter.

Thanks for looking out for me though -- I won't hire redhat-list as my
laywer anytime soon ;)

Ray