problems with tape drive

Dana Holland dana.holland at navarrocollege.edu
Thu Feb 1 14:10:57 UTC 2007

Nigel Wade wrote:
> The first step is to see if the st kernel module has been loaded. Run
> lsmod and check that it is there. You should also see SCSI device
> drivers for whatever SCSI card you have. The scsi_mod module should have
> a dependency on the st module and your SCSI card driver.
>
> Check whether the st module has created the necessary filesystem entries
> in /dev/. There should be a /dev/st0, /dev/nst0 at the very least.
>
> Look in /proc/scsi/scsi, this should list all the scsi devices found.
> There ought to be an entry for your tape drive. For example, one of our
> HP DAT drives looks like this:
> Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: HP       Model: C5683A           Rev: C908
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

It's showing in lsmod:

[root at mail ~]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nfs                   211881  0
lockd                  65769  1 nfs
nfs_acl                 7745  1 nfs
st                     40285  0
parport_pc             28033  0
lp                     15661  0
parport                38025  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                23109  0
i2c_dev                14529  0
i2c_core               26049  1 i2c_dev
sunrpc                144037  4 nfs,lockd,nfs_acl
ipt_LOG                10177  1
ipt_REJECT             10689  1
ipt_state               5953  8
ip_conntrack           46085  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          6977  1
ip_tables              22721  4 ipt_LOG,ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
md5                     8129  1
ipv6                  242657  114
dm_mirror              31901  0
dm_mod                 60741  1 dm_mirror
button                 10705  0
battery                12997  0
ac                      8901  0
uhci_hcd               32857  0
ehci_hcd               32325  0
hw_random               9685  0
shpchp                 85061  0
e1000                 109369  0
floppy                 58193  0
aic79xx               187869  0
sg                     38369  0
ext3                  118857  6
jbd                    59609  1 ext3
megaraid_mbox          37329  7
megaraid_mm            17777  1 megaraid_mbox
aic7xxx               146425  0
sd_mod                 20545  9
scsi_mod              117709  6 st,aic79xx,sg,megaraid_mbox,aic7xxx,sd_mod

This is what's showing in /proc/scsi/scsi - the device with Id: 06 used
to say Seagate DAT-72, so I've obviously changed something in my
attempts to fix this.