Red Hat Enterprise Linux server fails to boot when connected to the network

David Poole david.poole at axminster.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 17:29:43 UTC 2007

We have a new Dell server which came pre installed with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Version 4 server on it.
However when it is connected to our network it freezes when booting up.
If I  enter interactive startup and stop the network service from
running the server boots fine.
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

The last message that shows up is "enabling swap space" and it
eventually says it is killing the services and its out of memory.

I made it so the network card doesn't start at boot, so I have to enable
it after logging into the server. It connects to the network fine after
that, but it just doesn't boot when connected to the network.

We havn't changed anything on the server as its brand new, just had to
set up a few settings like the time, root password, etc.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

David Poole

Axminster Power Tool Centre Ltd
Registered in England No. 3326979 (A member of the Styles & Brown Ltd
group of companies)

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may
be subject to legal professional privilege. It is intended solely for the
attention and use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, or person responsible for delivering this information to the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by
telephone +44 (0)1297 33666. Unless you are the intended recipient or
his/her representative you are prohibited from, and therefore must not,
read, copy, distribute, use or retain this message or any part of it. The
views expressed in this e-mail may not represent those of Axminster Power
Tool Centre Ltd. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept
responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this
message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy
version. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

This message has been checked for all known viruses by the South West Data Centre. For further information visit http://www.southwestdatacentre.co.uk or alternatively call the South West Data Centre on 01392-310310 for details on the Virus Scanning Service.