unable to login as oracle user

Troy Knabe knabe at 4j.lane.edu
Fri Feb 2 19:00:55 UTC 2007

We have 3 Red Hat 4.4 AS Servers running RAC 10G.  Today one of them had
load averages of over 160.  But processors were 99% idle.  None of the
RAC boxes were responding during this time.  I was able to login fine
(my local user), and sudo su -.  But when I tried to sudo su - oracle,
it just hung.  Finally rebooting fixed the issue.  As I have been
looking through log files, this is the only thing "weird" I have found.
  We only use local authentication on the box.

/var/log/secure:

Feb  2 08:22:14 orarac1 login: PAM unable to
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_limits.so)
Feb  2 08:22:14 orarac1 login: PAM [dlerror:
/lib/security/pam_limits.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory]
Feb  2 08:22:14 orarac1 login: PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_limits.so
Feb  2 08:22:25 orarac1 login: PAM unable to
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_limits.so)
Feb  2 08:22:25 orarac1 login: PAM [dlerror:
/lib/security/pam_limits.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory]
Feb  2 08:22:25 orarac1 login: PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_limits.so

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

-Troy