Linux-to-Linux migration

Lord of Gore lordofgore at logsoftgrup.ro
Sat Feb 10 00:00:44 UTC 2007

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> We have a client that has been experiencing some hardware problems
> which have resulted in a corruption of the OS (RHEL3). They are
> planning on replacing the system drive and reinstalling the RHEL.
> I know that I will need to backup a lot of information from the
> current system prior to it being replaced. I have spent some time
> searching for information on Linux-to-Linux migration but have
> not be able to find much (tons on Windows-to-Linux migration).
>
> My question is: Does anyone have any links to any documents on
> Linux-to-Linux migration or Linux upgrading that might assist
> me in ensure as some a transition for the client as possible?
> I am not looking for handholding just some guidelines and/or
> checklists of things to do.
>
> TIA
>
> Regards, Hugh

Not sure about any documentation but as a guideline I can tell you this:

1. Mistakes are not tolerated (this should ease the pressure a little :) )
1.5 Take some time in checking out the server and the business (if you
haven't done that already). This includes asking your client all
questions regarding the services provided by the server. You're not
living in Oz therefore you cannot guess or spend useless time in
checking every file on the server.
2. Identify all services used (like DNS, SMTP and all). Check what
services are started at boot-time. Import data from step 1.5 to help you
on the way.
3. Identify all the products of those services (usually files)
4. Identify all configurations of those services. Check them out, if you
see new products goto step 3. If you see new services goto step 2.
5. Agree with the client on the back-ups you will make. This step is
useful not in the way you're getting permission from him as to what to
back-up but he might tell you that part of what you're trying to back-up
is of no use to him anymore. Might shorten the back-up time if you're lucky.
5. Take some time-off from your girlfriend and put aside some money for
a new bracelet and using all the notes from the previous steps proceed
to back-up stage. Back-up products and configurations also.
6. Double-check if you have backed up everything

You might want to consider sharing with this list output of step 2
especially if you're not feeling to sure about a particular service.
There are some very good technicians on this list that *will* get you on
the right track.
What I can tell you is that I followed these steps a few times before
mostly because of hardware upgrading and got me on the shore just well.
The client was happy and the girlfriend ecstatic about the new bracelet. :)
Oh, and one more thing. Didn't quite understand if the server is down or
still limping to its death but you might want to consider ways to
decrease the downtime if not for all but at least for a few crucial
services. This might get you a white ball from your client. Still, he
needs to know to appreciate it ;) .

Good luck