Linux-to-Linux migration

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Mon Feb 12 03:45:15 UTC 2007

From: Lord of Gore Sent: February 9, 2007 16:01

> Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > We have a client that has been experiencing some hardware problems
> > which have resulted in a corruption of the OS (RHEL3). They are
> > planning on replacing the system drive and reinstalling the RHEL.
> > I know that I will need to backup a lot of information from the
> > current system prior to it being replaced. I have spent some time
> > searching for information on Linux-to-Linux migration but have
> > not be able to find much (tons on Windows-to-Linux migration).
> >
> > My question is: Does anyone have any links to any documents on
> > Linux-to-Linux migration or Linux upgrading that might assist
> > me in ensure as some a transition for the client as possible?
> > I am not looking for handholding just some guidelines and/or
> > checklists of things to do.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Regards, Hugh
> >

> Not sure about any documentation but as a guideline I can tell you
> this:

Thanks for your comments.

> 1. Mistakes are not tolerated (this should ease the pressure a little
> :) )

That's a given.

> 1.5 Take some time in checking out the server and the business (if you
> haven't done that already). This includes asking your client all
> questions regarding the services provided by the server. You're not
> living in Oz therefore you cannot guess or spend useless time in
> checking every file on the server.

This will be the easy part. The system is an application server running
only our software. The client supplied a Dell box with RHEL3 pre-
installed (by dell) which we (read I) then adjusted the configuration
and installed our software.

> 2. Identify all services used (like DNS, SMTP and all). Check what
> services are started at boot-time. Import data from step 1.5 to help
> you on the way.

Again this is easy as it is an application server only and is not used
for anything else so not much to worry about here.

> 3. Identify all the products of those services (usually files)

See 2.

> 4. Identify all configurations of those services. Check them out,
> if you
> see new products goto step 3. If you see new services goto step 2.

Again see 2.

> 5. Agree with the client on the back-ups you will make. This step is
> useful not in the way you're getting permission from him as to what to
> back-up but he might tell you that part of what you're trying to
> back-up
> is of no use to him anymore. Might shorten the back-up time if
> you're lucky.

The client is not going to be of much help here as they are relying
on us (read me) to tell them what needs backing up.

> 5. Take some time-off from your girlfriend and put aside some money
> for
> a new bracelet and using all the notes from the previous steps proceed
> to back-up stage. Back-up products and configurations also.

This would seem to imply I have a "life" (a concept I gave up on years
ago :)).

> 6. Double-check if you have backed up everything

No question about that (there are benefits to OCD!).

Thanks for your comments. The are definitely appreciated.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com