Re: rename Redhat server

On 2/13/07, Barry Brimer <lists brimer org> wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Atul Tyagi wrote:

> I want to rename my Redhat servers.
>> Which control and replacement i must do?
>>

> Change the host name in the folowing file /etc/sysconfig/network. set
the
> parameter "HOSTNAME" and reboot. To change it in runtime just issue the
> following command on root prompt
> sysctl kernel.hostname=<new_hostname> and relogin.

I believe you might be missing the "-w" that tells sysctl to "write" this
value.  I would use "sysctl -w kernel.hostname=<new_hostname>" ..
alternatively, you could type "hostname <new_hostname>" and re-login.
Either way, the HOSTNAME paramater in /etc/sysconfig/network must be
changed as well.

Yup I missed the -w switch. Sorry for that