dummy Provides was: rpmbuild

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Feb 14 21:57:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, m.roth2006 at rcn.com wrote:

>   *IS* there any way to tell rpmbuild how to use something
> that was built from source, and *not* either installed via
> rpm, or built via rpmbuild? (In case you're wondering, php
> 5, and now I'm trying to build the php-java-bridge.)

A package doing nothing except enumerating 'Provides' does
this -- see, eg,

ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/dummy-xscreensaver/dummy-xscreensaver.spec

which was written to convince a installer that the
'xscreensaver' dependency was met for a thin client
installation, where idle units were sucking up cycles
needlessly