SSH connection timeout?

Andrei Pascal andrei at romsym.ro
Fri Feb 16 14:46:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 09:25 -0500, Clark, Patti wrote:
> I've been working on tweaking RHEL4 for settings to meet various
> security requirements.  One question that has come up is whether an ssh
> session can have an idle timeout set.  I'd thought that using
> ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax were the solution (restart
> sshd after mods).  However, I am not seeing that happen.  So, the
> question, are these 2 parameters suppose to work for idle timeout, or
> are they used only for when the client "system" really goes to lunch?
> Are there parameters for setting idle timeout for ssh sessions?
>
> Patti Clark
> Unix System Administrator - RHCT
> Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Hi Patti,

You could try:

IdleTimeout <time>
        Sets idle timeout limit to time in seconds (s or nothing
        afternumber), in minutes (m), in hours (h), in days (d), or in
        weeks (w).If the connection have been idle (all channels) for
        that long time thechild process is killed with SIGHUP, and
        connection is closed down.

http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/manpages/sshd1_man.html

Good luck,
Andrei