Flash on linux browser

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Fri Feb 16 15:45:19 UTC 2007

Virden, Larry W. wrote:
> Interestingly enough, I've seen similar problems on windows xp with
> sites using quicktime - video but no audio or audio and no video. What I
> can't recall, however, if it was only with firefox, or with both firefox
> and ie. I suspect that there are weird things about certain sites and
> the various plugins.
>
> Have you submitted a bug report (with specific URLs , the plugin
> version, and the firefox version, as well as the linux distro name and
> version) to the plugin developers?

Agreed, I have had various minor complications concerning flash
compatibility across different versions of flash/firefox.  I can't think
of a time where it wasn't a matter of a simple version update to
resolve. Flash 8 was a big sticking point in particular, since it's
release lagged behind windows.  Linux seems to be caught up now and
Adobe appears to be pouring resources into linux development...imho this
is all much better than dealing with quicktime.

Before you get into recompiling things/adding flags, I'd suggest
downloading flash 9 and trying it out - if you haven't already.

--
Jim Canfield, CISSP
Tulsa Spine and Specialty Hospital