SSH connection timeout?

redhat at buglecreek.com redhat at buglecreek.com
Fri Feb 16 18:38:03 UTC 2007

As far as logging someone off the shell if nothing has been typed for a
while, openssh does not support this.  As another poster suggested, we
use the bash env variable TMOUT.  I place it in /etc/profile. For 15
minutes of idle time I use "TMOUT=900". For C shell, "set autologout=15"
is placed in /etc/csh.cshrc.  The downside is that these env variables
can be changed by users, but it does not really seem to be a big issue
for us.  I also recall a idle daemon that is available, but it has been
a long time since I looked into it.