problem using parted on partition containing a logical volume

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Fri Feb 16 22:49:09 UTC 2007

[I posted this question on the nahant list, as part of a larger question.]

I have been attempting to reduce the size of the root partition on a default
install of RHEL ES 4, and I have not been entirely successful so far. The volume
group contains two logical volumes / (LogVol00) and swap (LogVol01).

What I've done is:

1) Booted into rescue mode, not mounting the disk partitions.

2) Issued these commands:

# lvm vgchange -a y
# e2fsck -f /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 4G
# lvm lvreduce -L 4G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# lvm pvresize --setphysicalvolumesize 4.5G /dev/hda2
# lvm lvremove /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
# lvm pvresize --setphysicalvolumesize 4.6G /dev/hda2
# lvm lvcreate -L 512M -n LogVol01 /dev/VolGroup00

All this has been successful. However, the problem I have now is with parted:

# parted /dev/hda
(parted) print
Minor      Start        End        Type     Filesystem   Flags
1          0.031       101.975     primary  ext3         boot
2        101.975     19069.343     primary               lvm
(parted) check 2
Error: Could not detect file system.
(parted) resize 2 101.975 4813
Error: Could not detect file system.
(parted) print
Minor      Start        End        Type     Filesystem   Flags
1          0.031       101.975     primary  ext3         boot
2        101.975     19069.343     primary               lvm
(parted)

parted won't change the partition.

Why? What am I doing wrong?

Any thoughts?