Re: Fat fingered the usr dir.

m roth2006 rcn com wrote:
I hope you have a backup....

Mmm, if it's *only* /usr/bin, and you have another machine, why not just copy the directory and contents over from the other machine? I just checked, btw, and on RHEL 4, there's /bin/tar, so that works.

   mark

Thanks all,

I'm back online and I didn't even have to turn the machine off. As it turns out I lost /usr/bin and part of /usr/lib. The saving grace was a very similar machine and I still had a ssh session running. I tar'd everything from the second machine onto a cd-rom and untar'd onto the broken machine.

Lessons learned:

You *can* mount a cd-rom even when /usr/bin is gone...that rocks!
You *can not* mount a USB drive...maybe that will change over time.

Concerns:

I'm sure there are several things that will be out of sync particularly the rpmdb and perl modules.