Monitoring Tool

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Tue Feb 20 15:17:44 UTC 2007

What is it that makes you think you're being hacked?  Do you see any
processes that are running that shouldn't be there?

There are many things you can do to monitor and protect your system.
First, don't run any services unless you have a need to run them.
Second keep a good set of rules on your firewall to only allow those
users or open those ports that you need.

Run ckhrootkit occasionally to see if anyone has rooted you.  I was
rooted once, and it was not fun.  Total install from scratch was the
solution.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/chkrootkit/

You can set up tripwire to see if any files have been altered, though I
always thought this was too much work for what you get.

Check the output of 'last' or 'lastlog'.  That will tell you when each
user has logged in.

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
		-Seneca