Max CPUs on RHEL 4 (x86_64 or i686)?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 03:16:49 UTC 2007

On 2/20/07, Mike Kearey <mkearey at redhat.com> wrote:
> inode0 wrote:
> > On 2/20/07, Mike Kearey <mkearey at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The actaul limits pages too:
> >>
> >> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/limits/
> >
> > Are these limits defined by what configurations Red Hat supports
> > through its various support options or by what RHEL supports?
> >
> > John
> >

> Hi John. I anticipated there would be a question like this :)
>
> In the page you will have noticed a section "Support limits as defined
> by Red Hat Enterprise Linux Product Subscription"
>
> This section defines what is actively support for each product. Think of
> this as 'the limits RH GSS will can assist you in reaching'. For
> example, if you have a RHEL 4 ES system we can assist you in reaching
> the supported limits of 2 CPU'S.
>

> You will also notice that there is also a "Technology limits
> (certified[/theoretical])" section. For AS the "Support limits as
> defined by Red Hat Enterprise Linux Product Subscription" has mainly a
> dash '-' . This means the supported limits are undefined. Think of this
> as 'we can assist you in reaching the certified[/theoretical] technology
> limits listed'.

Michael,

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm embarrassed to say I did not notice
the difference between the sections that you just pointed out to me. I
am frequently asked about the difference between AS and ES and think
my understanding was just confirmed. I work in one of those site
subscription sorts of places.

Thanks,
John