Re: Max CPUs on RHEL 4 (x86_64 or i686)?

On 2/20/07, Mike Kearey <mkearey redhat com> wrote:
inode0 wrote:
> On 2/20/07, Mike Kearey <mkearey redhat com> wrote:
>>
>> The actaul limits pages too:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/details/limits/
>
> Are these limits defined by what configurations Red Hat supports
> through its various support options or by what RHEL supports?
>
> John

Hi John. I anticipated there would be a question like this :)

In the page you will have noticed a section "Support limits as defined
by Red Hat Enterprise Linux Product Subscription"

This section defines what is actively support for each product. Think of
this as 'the limits RH GSS will can assist you in reaching'. For
example, if you have a RHEL 4 ES system we can assist you in reaching
the supported limits of 2 CPU'S.

You will also notice that there is also a "Technology limits
(certified[/theoretical])" section. For AS the "Support limits as
defined by Red Hat Enterprise Linux Product Subscription" has mainly a
dash '-' . This means the supported limits are undefined. Think of this
as 'we can assist you in reaching the certified[/theoretical] technology
limits listed'.

Michael,

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm embarrassed to say I did not notice
the difference between the sections that you just pointed out to me. I
am frequently asked about the difference between AS and ES and think
my understanding was just confirmed. I work in one of those site
subscription sorts of places.

Thanks,
John