Re: Max CPUs on RHEL 4 (x86_64 or i686)?

On 2/20/07, Mike Kearey <mkearey redhat com> wrote:
No problem John. Note that there are real differences in the pckages for
AS compared to ES.

The most significant is that RHEL4 AS has a largesmp kernel specifically
optimized for big iron. The ES variant does not have that.

Every time you open your mouth I learn something new. I glanced at the
base package lists and didn't see any obvious difference between the
two. On the not too big iron around here I hadn't noticed any problems
with using either flavor. How big does the big iron need to be before
the benefits of the largesmp support kicks in?

Thanks,
John