Mail scanner

I am hoping to use mailscanner with clamav and spamassassin for my sendmail
server. I have no dough about spamassassin and clamav as well as sendmail
latest version. But (due to my lack of knowledge) I am wondering weather the
mailscanner software is reliable in the internet environment, most for the
vulnerabilities and attacks. Pls someone update me is there any of these
incidents on personal experience using the mailscanner software.
--
Lasantha Amarasinghe
Sri Lanka