Re: adding MP kernel

You don't have to rebuild to install a kernel of any type. Either run up2date -i kernel-smp, or if you have the kernel rpm handy, rpm -i packagename.

In grub.conf make sure the new kernel is listed at the top of the list, and default=0. Reboot and you will then be using the smp kernel.

This process is the same when installing a new single processor kernel, the hugemem kernel or smp kernel.

steve stamper foremost com wrote:
I inherited several RHEL3 systems that only have the single processor
kernel installed (vmlinux-2.4.21-4.EL).  We are changing the hardware
configuration.  I'm not sure how to install the mp kernel without
completely rebuilding.  Any suggestions???

ThanksĀ² - Steve

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
		-Seneca