/dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Jan 10 04:08:52 UTC 2007

On 09Jan2007 21:44, Andy Allen <andy.allen at virgin.net> wrote:
| > Sounds to me like the flash drive is being seen on something other than
| > /dev/sda.  Have you tried /dev/sdc or sdd?  I've seen this happen a
| > couple of times with mine, but haven't found a way to force it to one
| > devince name.
| > --
| > Ita erat quando hic adveni.
| > Mark Haney

I believe that in principle you can write a UDEV rule to make a symlink
of consistent name for specific devices.You might track the UUID for
per-device tracking or some kind of class for generic "I just plugged in
a thumb drive" stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm not a udev guru and cannot write such a rule for you,
but I've seen examples in udev tutorials.

Maybe these days there's some handy tool to auto-roll a udev rule..
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

[Alain] had been looking at his dashboard, and had not seen me, so I
ran into him. - Jean Alesi on his qualifying prang at Imola '93