Fedora 6 Advice

Evan Klitzke eklitzke.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 17:48:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 09:29 -0500, Derek Manson wrote:
> Good morning everyone,
>
> I am seeking some advice on how to move forward with our plans to
> integrate Fedora 6 into our network. We are a small town ISP currently
> running in an all Windows network. Moving into this new year we are
> discovering that our costs to run this type of network is getting very
> costly. We are looking to move our entire services to Linux and preferably
> Fedora. I have done a bit here and there with Fedora 5 and 6, however, not
> to this large of scale. My question is how and where should I be looking
> to get a really good understanding of how to operate in Fedora 6? We are
> needing to setup a Fedora an email and web solution rather soon. I have
> read a number of tutorials, forums and even some published books, I just
> need a bit more. Any suggestions?

As others have said, RHEL is the way to go. RHEL 5 is schedule to come
out in February, so if you really want the latest and greatest waiting
for that to come out is also an option.

WRT to running the whole network, it will basically be done the same way
as you would be doing it with any other Linux distribution. After you've
installed Apache/Postfix/Bind (or whatever combination you plan on
using), administering the system will really come down to your knowledge
of how to administer these individual pieces of software. You should
probably have read at least one book for each of these pieces of
software.

Obviously you'll want to start small (e.g. deploy an all Linux
environment in the office first), and scale up. Designing a really
scalable architecture can be difficult, so you'll definitely want some
help with that. Of course you're welcome to ask the list, but you'll
probably also want to do one of the following:
1) Try to hire a really experienced Linux sysadmin
2) Contact Redhat and ask them about what kind of training/support they
can offer you

In either case, having someone with a lot of expertise will help you
immensely, so I strongly encourage you to get someone on board who has
done this kind of thing before.

Best of luck!

--
Evan Klitzke