Fedora Core 6 & mod_ntlm

Joshua Miller joshua at itsecureadmin.com
Sun Jan 28 20:40:49 UTC 2007

Thank you for your response, Lord of Gore.

While configuring Apache to authenticate against an LDAP data store
would be a great thing, the link you provide details how to configure
Apache to authenticate using mod_auth_ldap as an authentication
mechanism.  The problem with this authentication module is that the user
must enter their authentication credentials when they visit the site
instead of having their browser present the login credentials and have
the Apache server accept those credentials and log them in without user
intervention.  The benefit to using mod_ntlm is that the user does not
have to enter their login credentials -- similar to the benefit you
would get from using IIS.

LDAP is a great directory store, implemented in Active Directory and
other sources but it is not an authentication mechanism.  I believe that
this user is already attempting to authentication against an LDAP store,
most likely Active Directory.

Thank you,
Josh, RHCE