Fedora 6 Advice

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Tue Jan 30 22:27:51 UTC 2007

katsumi liquer wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Wow -- that is cool!! I have not heard of that parameter before. I
> think I could probably use that -- if I set the rate limit high
> enough, perhaps it would prevent syslog from suppressing duplicate
> messages. The problem though is that I am guessing this only applies
> to messages coming from the kernel; other processes which talk to
> syslog directly will probably still trigger suppression I'm guessing.
> For example, several repeated failure messages from sshd will generate
>
> "last message repeated"
>
> This is basically the situation:
>
> http://www.syslog.org/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t62-.phtml
>
> I have never been able to find the official RedHat solution to the
> problem, short of rebuilding a custom syslog

Hi Again, sorry I was not very clear or helpful in my message ( I was in
a hurry :)  )

- the kernel rate_limit is just for kernel messages
- syslog does suppress repeated messages. I don't know what the method
is for detecting the repeated messages.. The important point to be aware
of is that this is a 'syslog for Linux' feature, and not a Red Hat
specific thing. Also it's probably not considered a problem, that is why
there is not official Red Hat solution.

I'd consider syslog-ng as it's much more configurable. You won't have to
modify syslog at all, and pre-built packages are available for RHEL4.

Cheers
Michael