login failure on RHEL AS 4u4

I have a RHEL box that I am suddenly unable to log in to. It's not exactly telling me a wrong uname or pwd, but from a console it acts like it times out and goes back to the login prompt. I've stopped nscd and removed all references to LDAP in nsswitch.conf so that shouldn't be a problem now.

Does anyone have any other ideas to get me on the box? I can reboot into runlevel 1 with no trouble, but I can't figure out what to do from there to fix it.

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator