Re: RHEL Release 4 -- MAKEDEV question

Thanks!
Can I write a script or something to create what I want? Will that work with
udev?

On 1/3/07, Barry Brimer <lists brimer org> wrote:

> Today, I was trying to do something that I have done in the past on a
Debian
> system but I noticed that /dev is is missing many files/devices that I
had
> been using on the Debian system.
> Here are some of them (there are many others):
>
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   1 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda1
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   2 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda2
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   3 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda3
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   4 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda4
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   5 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda5
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   6 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda6
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   7 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hda7
> Is this expected on RedHat? What can I do to rectify this?
> I am new to this, so I would appreciate any help that anyone can give
me!

RHEL 4 uses udev.  An article explaining what udev is and what it does is
available at <http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/>

According to Red Hat: The udev package is an implementation of devfs in
userspace using sysfs and /sbin/hotplug. It requires a 2.6 kernel to run
properly

Hope this helps.

Barry