Re: login failure on RHEL AS 4u4

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 04:41:33PM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
I have a RHEL box that I am suddenly unable to log in to. It's not exactly telling me a wrong uname or pwd, but from a console it acts like it times out and goes back to the login prompt. I've stopped nscd and removed all references to LDAP in nsswitch.conf so that shouldn't be a problem now.

Does anyone have any other ideas to get me on the box? I can reboot into runlevel 1 with no trouble, but I can't figure out what to do from there to fix it.

Hmm, sounds like you've checked the obvious.  Maybe you could re-run
authconfig just to make sure it's not something that was touched in the PAM
directory?

Ray

That fixed it.  Thanks.

--