run RedHat AS4 on VMWare ESX 3

zhicheng wang wang_zc at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 12:40:48 UTC 2007

Dear all

please does any one have experience on running redhat
AS4 on VMWare virtual machines? We are in the process
of upgrading servers and one option is vitalisation.

We use the following services:

1. nfs for Linux systems
2. samba to mount shared between Linux and windows,
two way (i.e. Linux desktops need access windows
folders and windows desktops need to access Linux
files)
3. mysql and postgresql:
4. web-server (tomcat). web-serve will be a physical
one, but needs to communicate with db servers and uses
nfs shares.

any suggestions will be helpful.

we are also thinking of xen, but it seems to me that
xen only support 32 bit machines. is that true?

thanks
cheng