rsh and rcp issues between AS4 and old AIX

Buddy Jennings buddyj at msn.com
Sun Jan 7 12:25:33 UTC 2007

I have an old AIX box running some proprietary software where I must use rsh
server <command> to sync data between the two boxes.  Ssh is not option for
me.  The AIX box does not have Kerbos installed.

rsh and rcp are working fine between AIX and an old SCO box which the RH box
is replacing.

I have turned off iptables until for troubleshooting, but not selinux
because various software would have to be re-branded/registered when selinux
renames the system.

I can /usr/bin/rsh remote_server just fine between both directions on the
AIX and RH box.

However, /usr/bin/rsh remote_server <command> fails with
remote_server:Connection timed out error.  This is also true with rcp.

linux box is
Linux myhost.my.com 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 25 17:24:31 EDT 2006
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

AIX is AIX 4.3

I really need to get this working, can any one help?

thank you
Buddy Jennings