Re: Managing logs

Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:
On 1/8/07, John O'Loughlin <j oloughlin qmul ac uk> wrote:
You can have one machine with syslog accepting remote loging --
edit /etc/sysconfg/syslog
with SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-r -m 0"

these boxes will now send there logs to loghost. you can also then install
swatch on loghost

Agreed.  This is the "best way", IMO.  It's what I use for my
switches, routers, and tens of Linux-based servers.  With syslog-ng,
you can even "organize" your logs on that single loghost.

This approach seems to be the most logical. It's centralized and has few moving parts. I appreciate the quick responses. I will start my syslog-ng training immediately. : )

Jim