sendmail

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Thu Jan 18 00:42:16 UTC 2007

If you want sendmail to authenticate with Rogers (required to send mail via
Rogers) then you need to use sendmail's access database option.  Put the
following line in the access file with a valid user at rogers.com and password.
Don't forget to run a makemap command to create the access db file properly.
The sendmail.mc file needs to have the proper feature command to enable the
access file.

AuthInfo:smtp-rog.mail.yahoo2.akadns.net "U:user at rogers.com"
"P:user_password"

Then add the following line to sendmail.mc

define(`SMART_HOST',`esmtp:[smtp.broadband.rogers.com]')

There's lots of sendmail config HowTo's explaining how to set up the config
files.  Just use the above Rogers specific info.  I suggest you use
fetchmail to pull email from the Rogers server.  It's easy to setup.

It's against Roger's end user agreement to run a server on their network.
They actively scan for servers and will threaten to discontinue your service
if they find one.  Also, Rogers uses dynamic ip's.  Their range of ip
addresses is checked by programs like spamassassin and your email will be
discarded if found to come from within their range.  Just use the smart host
feature and pull incoming mail from their server.  It will make your life
much easier.