Re: Raid definitions

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
I am in the process of allocating drive space in several new servers.
Each of these servers are to house DB's of some sort.  Each has 6 X 146
gig drives and each will run RHES4.  I was thinking of 2 arrays:

1 - mirrored pair of 146's for OS
1 - Raid 5 array with 4 x 146 for db's.  That would give me a disk of
about 440 GB.

Currently, the biggest DB is about 30 GB.   I figure there are just too
many ways that I can slice and dice it.  Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Regards, Marshall
I'd go with level 5 for the extra space. Fault tolerance is the same: just 1 broken disk per "session" :) .