Email IP Address

katsumi liquer katsumi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 15:18:45 UTC 2007

Hi Rizwan,

As was said before, an email message does not inherently have an IP
address per se. What it does have in some cases is a trail of the SMTP
servers which handled as it was sent and then delivered. This is not
always the case, as it is very easy for a mail server to remove or
even change these headers. Depending on what email client you are
using, you should be able to turn on something like 'Show Full
Headers' -- inside the headers look for a field called 'Recieved:' --
for example, it might look something like this:

        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id w43si5349772pyg.2007.01.23.04.28.15;

In this case, you can see that the IP address 209.132.177.30 was
involved in sending the message, but it is not always exactly clear
how it was involved, and again, it is not always a reliable source of
information either. That being said, I think it is probably as close
are you are going to get without more advanced techniques.

katsu