sendmail (Junk Mail)

Evan Klitzke eklitzke.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 09:06:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 00:48 -0600, Robert Canary wrote:
> Our administrator boxes get flooded with emails from spammers who are
> still sending massive emails to address that do not exist.  Of course
> sendmail sends a response back to the from header saying the account
> dosen't exist.  However, the sendmail server is getting those responses
> bounced back to them because these are junk emails with no real return
> address.  As a result the undeliverable mail gets sent to "postmaster".
>   Thus the "postmaster" email is a hoard mess of junk email bounced replies.
>
> How is being handled ?

I'm not sure how handy you are with C (I think there are perl bindings
as well), but if you (or one of the other sysadmins) is marginally
proficient, the milter API is very straightforward and makes it very
easy to do tasks like this. In this particular example you would just be
scanning for the email header with the SA score and then silently
dropping the email if its spam score is too high. There's probably an
already made solution out there for you in this particular case, but if
you want to do anything interesting with your mail setup learning how to
write Milters is a good way to go.

--
Evan Klitzke