Email IP Address

Lord of Gore lordofgore at logsoftgrup.ro
Wed Jan 24 15:10:36 UTC 2007

Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> Not to start a flame war,
If you were really concerned about this you would have sent me a private
message. I do from time to time. You can even ask for my YM id if you
want to hate me in real-time. But this obliges me to make a public point
of view.
> here, but isn't a pissy response like this
> also a waste of bandwidth?
No it's not because it will make a future economy of bandwidth when this
guy and others will think twice before asking a dumb question like that one.
You on the other hand, unfortunately, do not see this from a realistic
point of view. Consider the fact that such an e-mail needs a reply to
ask for a better description of the problem. That reply will be replied
by another e-mail containing more or less pertinent info on the matter.
Maybe someone thinks of a specific problem, sends a reply to the first
mail and receives one about not resolving the real problem. We have now
how many e-mails that didn't really solved the problem? I'll tell you:
five. say the medium size of the e-mails is 2KB. Multiply with 5 e-mails
and with 1000 subscribers and you'll have a 10MB useless communication.
Waste enough for you?
> Come on, maybe the guy's new?
No. I told you, he's lazy. Or he sucks at communication skills. Either
way redhat-list is not guilty for this. If you are his advocate then
tell me what he meant when he said "IP address of every email" and why
you are 100% he meant it. Responses below 100% degree of certitude are
not taken in account because this incertitude will generate mail replies
with at least twice the size.
>   Shit, I have
> reporting tools that tell me the originating IP's of certain things
> (e.g. malformed messages or control commands), and I have no idea how
> they got them.

Then you should uninstall them. I am not complaining about the whole
e-mail IP thing but about the fact that an e-mail's envelope contains
many info that could be probed for an IP address. Therefore the mention
about the mind reading. Maybe you have a crystal ball but I broke mine
while trying to unleash the hidden powers of micro$oft wi(n)dow$. The
damn thing resigned and imploded. Said it was overworked and
overqualified for the job.

For others that have itchy hands/fingers: Yes, this e-mail *is*
contained in the waste of bandwidth type of communication. :) . The only
excuse is that I had to stand up and defend my point of view. 10q for
your patience.