RHEL4 has no kernel-source rpm?????

Vladimir Parkhomenko vlad at nkmz.donetsk.ua
Thu Jan 25 06:18:43 UTC 2007

SC> Robert Canary wrote:
>> I donwloaded the strongswan and was attempting build the rpm file from
>> the bz2 file. rpmbuild -tb strongswan.bz2
>>
>> However, the build is looking for the kernel build files.  I did a scan
>> for the kernel-source (rpm -qa | egrep"kernel") but is wasn't installed.
>>  I did a "up2date kernel-source" on my RHEL4.1 and dosen't exist.
>>
>> Were dose one get the kernel-source for the RHEL4 kernels if one needs
>> to recompile it and repackage it?

SC> There is no kernel source RPM any more.  To build things you need
SC> kernel-headers and kernel-devel.

In the last period I do so:
1. download kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.src.rpm
2. # rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.src.rpm
3. # rpmbuild ... for prepare, compile and build kernel source
4. build kernel:
   - # make menuconfig
   - # make install
   - # make modules
   - # make modules_install
5. check 'GRUB' to setup new item for load newly building kernel

it's work fine for x86, x86_64.