Fedora 6 Advice

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Jan 25 17:41:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 mroth at cfl.rr.com wrote:

> I concur. I would *not* use Fedora on your servers. I was considering
> Fedora before I upgraded about a year ago from RH9, and the general
> opinion, including from my old aquaintance ESR, was that Fedora was not
> leading edge, but bleeding edge, and you want solid reliability, not
> c00ln3ss.

Bleeding edge is not only about "c00ln3ss".

But the main issue with Fedora as an enterprise OS is that it moves too
fast.  The idea of upgrading a server farm 1-2 times per year to keep on
the support path is anathema to a sysadmin.  Just keeping my half-dozen
RHEL servers operational takes all the time I can spare for them.
Rebuilding them at that pace would be impossible.

> I wound up going to SuSE 10, although if I'd known about CentOS then, I
> might have gone there.

RHEL costs for support and access to timely updates.  CentOS is the same
software, but it's supported by an independent community and updates come
(slightly) slower.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences