Re: RHEL4 - permissions/groups and Samba

Davis, Jared Scott wrote:
I have multiple users editing documents in the www/html folder.  I set up a group called web_admin that contains said users.  All of the files under the web root are owned by my local account and the group is web_admin.  We are using Samba to connect to the box.  The problem is as follows:

I have a file:

David,

Two things you need. Sticky bits and directory masks. Set the sticky bit on the filesystem so they like this:

drwsrws---  21 root Accounting            2040 Jan 25 09:03 Accounting

Then create a mask on the share like this:

[Accounting]
  comment = Accounting
  path = /departments/Accounting
  create mask = 0770
  force directory mode = 0770
  read only = No

New files should have the group privs and the owner will be the one who created the file.

Jim