RHEL4 - permissions/groups and Samba

Davis, Jared Scott DavisJar at missouri.edu
Fri Jan 26 17:54:55 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the replies.

I changed the sgid bit by: chmod -R ug=s www

Then I used Jim's method by changing my smb.conf to this:
[www]
        path = /var/www
        valid users = davisjar, herrmanb, leisse, nilesn, shearerh, harrisjm
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0775
        force directory mode = 0775
        read only = No

Now when I edit a file via Samba:
Before: -rwSrwSr-x  1 nilesn   web_admin 1908 Jan 26 11:35 global.css
After:  -rwxrw-r--  1 davisjar web_admin 1909 Jan 26 11:49 global.css

Not sure what's wrong.  FYI my Samba version is samba-3.0.10-1.4E.9

Thanks again,

Jared Davis
Internet Administrator
Residential Life