NTP time server?

Jim Shanks jshanks at lrlec.org
Tue Jan 30 17:30:19 UTC 2007

Katsu,

Ndpd does both, but it is not configured to act as a time server by default.

Under the CLIENT NETWORK section of the default /etc/ntp.conf file add a
restrict directive that defines your local network (mine is 172.17.0.0/16)
as follows:

# -- CLIENT NETWORK -------
# Permit systems on this network to synchronize with this
# time service.  Do not permit those systems to modify the
# configuration of this service.  Also, do not use those
# systems as peers for synchronization.
# restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap
restrict 172.17.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap

Jim