problems with tape drive

I'm having problems accessing the tape drive on our Dell box. We're running AS 4. It's a Seagate DAT-72 SCSI drive. It appears that the system is recognizing the drive during bootup, and that it's being assigned the name of st0. But none of the "mt" commmands work - I get "device not found". I've googled it, but can't seem to find any information on the next step to take. Any ideas?