sendmail and maildir format ???

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 12:41:32 UTC 2007

Dear Alfred,

  thanks a lot for ur reply...
  really apprecite..

  btw i have followd the steps but still recive my mail in mbox formay that is goin to /var/mail/username and is a single file thats is ... mbox style

  here is my part of sendmail.mc file i hav changed
  dnl # that do not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
dnl #
FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl
dnl #
dnl # Also accept email sent to "localhost.localdomain" as local email.
dnl #
LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
dnl #
dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
dnl #
dnl # masquerade not just the headers, but the envelope as well
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
dnl #
dnl # masquerade not just @mydomainalias.com, but @*.mydomainalias.com as well
dnl #
dnl FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
dnl #
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomainalias.com)dnl
dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomain.lan)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
dnl MAILER(procmail)dnl
Cwlocalhost.municipality.gov.kw
  ***************************************************************************8

  here also my /etc/procmailrc file
  :0
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

  n which procmail....

  /usr/bin/procmail

  procmail -v gives

  procmail v3.22 2001/09/10
    Copyright (c) 1990-2001, Stephen R. van den Berg    <srb at cuci.nl>
    Copyright (c) 1997-2001, Philip A. Guenther         <guenther at sendmail.com>
  Submit questions/answers to the procmail-related mailinglist by sending to:
        <procmail-users at procmail.org>
  And of course, subscription and information requests for this list to:
        <procmail-users-request at procmail.org>
  Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl()
Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
        It may be writable by your primary group
Your system mailbox:    /var/mail/root

  wht could i be doin wrong

  really wd appreciet your help
  do i need to change another othe file .. apart from sendmail.mc n /etc/procmailrc file or any other changes

  Regards

  simon

Alfred Hovdestad <alfred.hovdestad at usask.ca> wrote:
  You can put

FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl

in your sendmail.mc file to generate your sendmail.cf config file. This
defines procmail as your local mailer agent.

Then you put

:0
/USER.MAIL.DIRECTORY/

in /etc/procmailrc. The trailing '/' tells procmail to use MAILDIR (man
procmailrc). Your mail directory can be /var/mail/username/ or
$HOME/maildir/

You can also just specify

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

in your /etc/procmailrc. This sets the default mail destination to be
the Maildir directory in the recipient's home directory in maildir format.

Alfred