Deny directory listing on vsftpd anonymous upload

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 09:10:09 UTC 2007

Nikkilä Tommi wrote:
> If you mean the dirlist_enable option that is a definite no-no, since
> it prohibits the directory listing from everybody and I need the
> other users to be able to see the contents of their respective
> directories. Also the deny_file and hide_file options are out unless
> they could somehow be tweaked to rule out [directory]/* and only to
> be effective on the anonymous user. I guess a anon_hide_file option
> would be a needed addition...

You can specify per-user settings with vsftpd. In the config file you
can define a directory to hold the per-user config files
(user_config_dir). In that directory you create a file for each user
who's configuration needs to differ from the default. You only need to
put the non-default settings in to the file.

Create a file in your user_config_dir called ftp (ftp is the anonymous
user) with the line:
dirlist_enable=no

That should give a "550 Permission denied" message if the anonymous user
attempts a directory listing.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555