Determine what service listening on port

Steve Phillips steve at focb.co.nz
Sat Jul 14 10:20:29 UTC 2007

Romeo Theriault wrote:
> The -sV option on nmap would give you service version information. You
> might
> also want to try connecting to the ports with telnet to see what they might
> show.

I find "lsof | grep <port>" tends to use (obviously without < and > )
but usually takes a little interpretation (i.e - look for UDP: <port>,
not the other random things that will show up in such a generalised
grep), lsof will show the process that has the port open, past that, you
can trace back PIDs and PPID's to find the process parent - as is
usually needed when dealing with java applications etc.

trying to use 'telnet' to connect to a UDP port however will be rather
fruitless, as was the "LISTEN" suggestion (UDP services show as "Idle"
not LISTENING)

good luck :-)

--
Steve.