sendmail log entry

I am running a restricted sendmail relay under RHEL ES 4. Lately, I have been getting this in the logs:

sendmail[9730]: l6J1H6Cg009730: localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I've seen this before for outside email addresses, but not for localhost. Is it possible that I am getting this message because the email server that is sending this email is misconfigured and identifying itself as localhost? I can send mail from this machine with no problems, and AFAIK there are no problems with most if the email being relayed.

TIA,

Bill Tangren