sendmail log entry

Bill Tangren bjt at usno.navy.mil
Thu Jul 19 13:34:17 UTC 2007

I am running a restricted sendmail relay under RHEL ES 4. Lately, I have been
getting this in the logs:

sendmail[9730]: l6J1H6Cg009730: localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] did not issue
MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I've seen this before for outside email addresses, but not for localhost. Is it
possible that I am getting this message because the email server that is sending
this email is misconfigured and identifying itself as localhost? I can send mail
from this machine with no problems, and AFAIK there are no problems with most if
the email being relayed.

TIA,

Bill Tangren