RE: sendmail log entry

An entry like that would be generated if something on the local system
connected to the MTA and then disconnected without issuing commands.
This happens, for example, when you have a monitoring system checking
the service by connecting to it, such as nagios.

Regarding why it says localhost.localdomain, that's probably just a
reflection of how you have 127.0.0.1 listed in /etc/hosts.