RE: I must be dense....

Mark,

On January 1st this year I installed RHL9 onto a Dell OptiPlex GX1p with 768Mbytes RAM . . .

I've re-compiled the kernel to suit my hardware and tweaked it in other places . . .

All is fine in my world. Although this is my first time with Linux, I have been using Unix in a variety of flavours since the early 1980s.

My reason for writing?  To recommend this book:

Red Hat Linux 9 Bible, Christopher Negus, pub. Wiley, 20003. ISBN 0-7645-3938-8.

It may have the odd typo and actual error which might throw a newbie but those of us familiar with *x in any flavour probably wouldn't even notice (unless a pedant, like me). I find it a useful reference when Linux catches me out . . .

Alan.

Watch all 9 Live Earth concerts live on MSN.  http://liveearth.uk.msn.com