Re: mt refuses to report location on the tape

On 22/07/07, Anthony Reynolds <rar ctscan co uk> wrote:
Dear All,

This is a follow-on to a previous posting as we have encountered the exact
same problem with RHEL ES4:

We attached a Quantum 8000 DLT to an Adaptec 39320A SCSI controller - the
tape drive works fine, tar works fine and most of the mt commands work fine
except

mt -f /dev/nst0 tell

which comes back with "no such device".

Everything works fine on an older RH Linux system.

If anyone knows the solution to this problem on RHEL 4 we'd be very
grateful.

Kind regards

Anthony Reynolds

Image Diagnostic Technology Ltd

London, England

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:24:14 -0500

To: redhat-list redhat com

I have a RHEL WS 4 Update 1 machine with a DLT drive attached. A user
wants to use it, but is encountering some weird behavior from mt.

The device shows up in dmesg, the module is loaded, and /dev/st0 and
/dev/nst0 exist. tar -tvf will successfully list the contents of a tape
in the drive. However, 'mt -f /dev/nst0 tell' fails with 'no such
device'. Normally I would suspect that the tape drive doesn't have this
capability, but this command worked just fine with the machine's former
Redhat 7.2 install. mt's other functions, including rewind, etc. appear
to be working fine.

Any ideas?

-Mindy

Re:
Normally I would suspect that the tape drive doesn't have this
capability, but this command worked just fine with the machine's former
Redhat 7.2 install.

Slightly ambiguous.  Was that the same tape drive that was attached to
the server?

According to the man pages, tell "is available on some Tandberg and
Wangtek               streamers and some SCSI-2 tape drives"  No
explicit reference to Quantum 8000 DLT.

Just in case, have you checked for firmware upgrades?

Kind regards,

Herta